Most people are plagued by heartburn only after a particularly sumptuous meal, extensive drinking or stress. In fact, an unhealthy lifestyle is the most common cause of heartburn – and thus a particularly promising treatment approach:
- Avoid nicotine and alcohol. Both pleasure foods favor heartburn through multiple mechanisms. Among other things, they stimulate the release of stomach acid and have a relaxing effect on the muscles – including the sphincter at the stomach entrance.
- Also, chocolate, coffee, carbonated drinks, citrus fruits, spicy food, fat and fried foods stimulate the production of stomach acid. Those who are prone to heartburn should therefore enjoy such food and drinks at most in small quantities.
- Avoid a sumptuous dinner and only eat light meals in the last hours before going to bed.
- Anyone who suffers from heartburn, especially at night, should not eat at least four hours before bedtime . Also, an elevated position of the upper body with pillows makes it difficult to ascend gastric acid into the esophagus. Sometimes it also helps to turn to the left side of the body when lying heartburn . Then the entrance to the stomach is up, which hinders the reflux of gastric contents.
- Relaxation techniques and sports are well suited to release the internal tension and reduce the reflux trigger stress.
- In case of overweight there is an additional pressure on the stomach, which can easily press gastric juice into the esophagus. Who brings too many kilos on the scales should therefore slim with healthy, calorie-reduced diet and a lot of exercise. This prevents heartburn and other health problems.